1.21.2013

Skinny-ish Spinach Quiche

or pour and go crust-free quiche

I have recently come to love making quiche at home.  I make individual ones for breakfasts on the go and full sized ones for dinner, with leftovers for lunches.  It took me a while to sort out the right combination of ingredients, and even now I still tend to change it up a bit, but I think I have settled on a pretty solid base recipe.  I use egg beaters, or egg substitute, in this recipe for two reasons 1) it is healthier than whole eggs in some respects and 2) it is a lot easier - less mess and faster prep.  I know what you are thinking, is it really that hard to crack and scramble 5 eggs?  The answer to that is yes.  Yes it is.  Particularly when I have a squirmy baby insisting on mommy time during meal prep.  But even without that, it just goes a bit faster overall (and if you use frozen veggies instead of fresh it can be a fantastically fast throw together meal).  If you are a traditionalist or are involved in an anti-egg substitute movement feel free to prep with the 5 whole eggs, I won't judge.  The one adjustment I do make periodically is whether or not to include 2 tbsp of flour in the egg mixture.  I am still not sure how I feel about it and alternate each time I make it, I'm indecisive like that.  Feel free to try tossing it in if you are feeling adventurous.  Here's what I've got:

1 1/2 cups egg beaters (or 5 eggs)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp dried minced onion
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
nutmeg - just a dash
2 tbsp Italian bread crumbs
1 bunch fresh spinach
2 tbsp olive oil

Hardware: saute pan, glass pie dish, mixing bowl

Preheat oven to 350 F, spray pie pan with nonstick spray.

1. Saute spinach in olive oil with the dried minced onion until wilted.  (if using frozen spinach - thaw in the fridge in advance and when prepping squeeze out all the water, then stir in the dried minced onion, no saute)

2. In the mixing bowl add the egg beaters and heavy cream, mix until well combined.  Season with garlic, salt, and pepper.  Pour in the spinach mixture and stir again to combine.

3. Add in both of the cheeses and stir well.  Pour into the pie pan.  Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top.

4. Bake for 30 min.  Then remove and allow to set for 10 min before slicing and serving.

(Sadly, no picture.  Blogger is claiming I maxed out my limit so until I sort out a resolution we are a sans picture blog.  My deepest apologies)

No comments:

Post a Comment