8.31.2012

Indian Inspired Slow and Low Veggies

or baby stepping into curried foods

This recipe was a bit of a process to work out for me.  I really enjoy Indian flavors but have never tried to cook with them.  On top of that, as much as I do like the flavor base, I am not used to the spice level of many traditional Indian curry dishes so I had to account for that as well.  I do like "butter chicken" so I combined some flavors for those recipes with ones for curried veggies and found a reasonable, albeit non-traditional, place to start.  So first I tried it with just chickpeas and extra sauce, then I added other vegetables, and finally adjusted spices a bit more.  After a couple moderately successful batches, I finally have a winner with the last one!  

Making it is pretty easy, one of those just toss and go style dishes that works great once finished off for families that may have to eat at off set times, and the left overs are excellent reheated.  I think any dish that results in leftovers that are as good or better for lunch is a definite stress reducer.  Add to that the benefit of this helping clear out any existing sinus issues for me and there really is no reason not to make it every week or so.  This is how it's done:

1 can drained chickpeas
1 bag frozen cauliflower, 8 oz
2 med golden potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup baby carrots, whole or halved
1 ½ tbsp dried minced onion
1 ½ tbsp ground ginger powder
1 ½ tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp curry paste or powder

dash or two cinnamon
3 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
to taste salt and pepper
2 cups white rice


Hardware: Slow Cooker/Crockpot

1. Dump everything except the yogurt, cream, salt and pepper into the slow cooker. Stir really well to combine, the consistency should be the same throughout. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 


2. Uncover, stir in the yogurt and cream. Turn to high for about 10 min. Make the rice according to package directions. Stir well again and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.

I love the leftovers from this dish but I like to add a small pat of butter between the rice and veggies before storing. This adds a nice creaminess to the dish when reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment